Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why should I support RCB ?

Here is a question. In the Formula one championship if Karun Chandok is on the racing track, whom will you rather support? Karun Chandok or the team Force India (Owned by Vijay Mallaya)? I would rather go with Chandok than supporting a supposedly Indian team without any Indian drivers.

I have a similar dilemma with the IPL. For the last three years I was a die-hard fan of RCB. RCB had some of the stalwarts from Karnataka in Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid along with promising players like Robin Uthappa, Vinay Kumar, A Mithun and Manish Pandey, all of whom played for Karnataka in the Ranji Trophy. Having these players in RCB gave me a reason to support the franchisee. The support to RCB was almost natural as there was continuity in supporting Karnataka and RCB.

Now that none of the above mentioned players are in the team except Mithun ( Kumble as a ‘mentor’ doesn’t count), I am finding it difficult to support my ‘home’ team. In fact, in RCB’s first match against Kochi, when Vinay kumar got Virat Kohli’s wicket, it made me happier.

So, the question comes, why should I support RCB? Is it because it has ‘Bangalore’ in the team name or because it plays all its ‘home’ matches in Bangalore or because its owner is based in Bangalore? Frankly speaking, none of these reasons excite me enough to support RCB.

It is not possible for any of the Franchisees to have all the players from the local region, but if at least 4-5 players are from the local team, it is easier to build a fan base and gain support.

Come April 19th and the match between Rajasthan Royals and the RCB and I might just support the Royals.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apprecite that you finally accept its no use supporting RCB :) Welcome to the RR club :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Local flavor is a must in the team. I am happy to see our local boys scoring in the matches than Dilshan or Ab. I think this is where owners of the team got it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This years IPL is the first one for us - where commercial interests have overpowered local interests!!

    Maybe next year we can make up our minds better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bharat How can I support anyone else but Dravid - The greatest ever to captain India :)

    @Rajesh Thanks for taking time and commenting. You are right. And even with those foreign player who played last three years are missing this year. Strange

    @Vyankatesh Thanks for commenting on the blog. Commercial interests have totally taken over cricketing sense!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the article will make better sense if you change the title as "Why I am not supporting RCB this time."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also when you mentioned Dravid, he is a class player how he has reinvented himself(this yr IPL( for the shortest form of the game once he was considered not even fit for one dayers, I feel RCB didnt use him properly last year and I heard Mallya also treated him badly....all ex players of RCB one thing in mind take revenge bak on them like Vinaykumar did....

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Senthil Now that I think of it "Why i am not supporting RCB this time" would have been good... anyway..
    You are right about Dravid.. the class of the man shows....

    ReplyDelete